Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Heisei -> Reiwa

As I'm sure everyone knows, the previous emperor has retired and from today his son has become the new emperor, thus beginning a new "era" with the name of Reiwa. 


Personally, I think the retired emperor and empress are great and I hope they will have many more years together.  And I also hope the new era will bring some much needed changes to our society...like the right for women to ascend to the throne.  Look at THIS article from the Mainichi.  To be honest, I had no idea how many princesses there are in the royal family (or that anyone from the Showa age was still alive!). 


But this kind of thing also makes me feel sad.  As a single mother with a special needs child, I feel like I miss out on so much of life.  Holidays, special events...  What am I doing today (other than writing this blog post)?  Sitting around the apartment, trying to keep my daughter from eating us out of house and home.  She eats ALOT.  I'd hoped to maybe take her to one of the local parks, but this week has been nothing but rain. 


I hope Reiwa is better for Japan in general, but also for me in particular!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...