Sunday, May 5, 2019

Children's Day chimaki

One of the national holidays during the Golden Week period is Children's Day.  I always look forward to this because it's the only time I can get chimaki.




"What the heck is this?", you may be thinking.  This is chimaki.  It's soft, somewhat sweet, mochi wrapped in a leaf.  Being wrapped in a leaf seems to give it a fresh grassy smell and flavor.  Sounds weird, but it's good!



This is often included in the school lunch as a treat just before or after the Golden Week period, but because the holiday is extra long this year, we didn't get any (at least not in the city I work in).  I was talking to the teacher in charge of the school lunch about this last week and...she ordered some just for us teachers!  So, that's something to look forward to when I have to go back to work next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...