Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Kyushoku #2

As promised, more pictures of Japanese elementary school's lunch!



A more Japanese-style lunch.  Rice, miso soup, dry crunchy beans with kinako, and fish in a slightly sweet sauce.  There was also "wakame furikake", but I generally prefer plain rice so I opted out. 

Bread with chocolate spread, chicken & quail eggs, "bi-fun" with veggies.  OK, I have to explain some of this...  First off, chocolate on bread is super delicious!  I never had this before coming to Japan.  Next, I had to look up "bi-fun" and I came up with "rice noodles".  It's a kind of noodle from China.  Finally, the quails eggs.  When my mother visited Japan many years ago, I brought her with me to school and we had quails eggs.  She was surprised to see them in school lunch because back home, these kinds of eggs are much more expensive than regular eggs.  I bought some once, but trying to peel the shell of those tiny things was much more trouble than it was worth!

Seriously, I recommend trying chocolate on bread.  You can try cake frosting, if you have it!  Or if you're in Japan, many grocery stores have chocolate spread, in the same section as peanut butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...