Friday, July 19, 2019

Buying a house

Sorry, no fun photos or anecdotes today.  Today, I want to talk about something that's been keeping me stressed out for the past couple of weeks.


Trying to buy a house.


Recently, I'd gotten to thinking that paying rent (especially the amount I'm paying here) is a waste and the same amount of money per month could instead be used as mortgage payments on something that I would eventually own.


Now, if you search for buying property in Japan on Google or something, you'll come up mostly with articles about investment properties.  Or articles about how owning a home in Japan is completely different than in the West because houses here lose value over time.  But this means nothing to me.  For me, a house isn't an "investment".  I buy stocks and bonds for that!  It's a home.  Someplace that's mine - that I can do whatever I want with and not worry about getting charged for it when I move out.  I could have a pet, if I want.  I don't have to worry about downstairs neighbors being upset when my daughter has stomping meltdowns.


In Japan, there are two options:  a house or a "mansion".  Nope, not a mansion like you're thinking of, as in a huge palace with a swimming pool or two.  In Japan, a mansion is basically an apartment that you own.   General repairs are covered through monthly maintenance fees paid by the people who live there, but repairs/problems with your own rooms are your own responsibility.  But there are some negatives to mansions.  For example, the older the building gets, the higher the maintenance fees get - so even after you've paid off your mortgage, you're still paying into the maintenance pot.  Also, should the other owners decide to scrap the whole building and rebuild, if 80% of them vote for it, even if you don't want it...it's happening.  Not to mention, I'd hate spending that kind of money and get stuck with terrible neighbors!  It's not like I could just pack up and move.


So, I really want a HOUSE.  I found the perfect one.  Got rejections from all the banks for a loan.  I thought it was about ME.  I have Japanese citizenship and a good credit record, decent savings for someone in my position...but I'm also a yearly contract worker rather than a full-time "regular" employee.  But today I found out that, beyond any problems banks might have with ME, the problem is the house.  It faces a small "street" that somehow isn't actually a street.  Meaning, it's more like someone's property that is being used as a street.  No bank anywhere will give anyone a loan for this house.


Back to square one...  Not going to tell you how much I cried today, finding out I couldn't get that house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...