Sunday, March 24, 2019

Japan's "Disability Identification Booklets"


I feel that Japan offers much more support to me, as a parent of a child with special needs, than my country of origin would. I plan to discuss this topic more in future posts, but today I want to introduce Japan's system of disability identification booklets (or as I call them, Disability IDs).
The color and layout varies



First, I should say that while the Disability IDs are a Japan-wide system, sometimes the names of the IDs differ according to region.



There are three types of IDs:



身体障がい者手帳 – Shintaishogaisha Techo This is for people with physical disabilities. For example, hearing and vision impairments, mobility impairments, HIV, or internal problems (heart, liver, etc.)

療育手帳Ryoiku Techo This is for people with intellectual disabilities. This is given based on an IQ test and ability to handle basic life activities. The grading system may be a bit different in different areas. For example, Tokyo uses a 1 through 4 system (with 1 being the most severe disability). In Osaka, we have three levels: A, B1, and B2 (with A being the most severe).

精神障がい者保健福祉手帳Seishinshogaisha Hoken Fukushi Techo (wow, that's a long one!) This is for people with mental disabilities. For example, severe depression, alcoholism, stress-related illnesses, autism, or epilepsy.





What are the benefits of having one of these IDs? I think one big merit is you don't have to be constantly “proving” a disability in order to apply for special services. These IDs are nationally recognized.

There are also financial benefits. Depending on your family's income, you are eligible to receive 特別児童扶養手当 Tokubetsu Jido Fuyo Teate, which is a monthly (though usually paid out a few times a year) stipend for parents of disabled children. My daughter also receives a small “pension” (shogai nenkin) from the city. There is also a significant tax break for families with a special needs child. In addition, your child and one caregiver (usually) can get discounts on transportation (trains, buses, taxis, even airfare) and on entrance fees to various facilities such as theme parks, public pools, aquariums, etc.





How do you apply for one of these IDs? This may vary according to region and/or disability type, but I go to the 障害福祉室 Shogai Fukushi Shitsu (Disability Welfare Department) at city hall. They handle the application and it's also where you pick up the ID once it's ready. The evaluation, in my daughter's case, is at the city 子ども家庭センター Kodomo Katei Center (Center for Children and Families). Once she hits 18 (which won't be for a long time!), I'm not sure where we will have to go. Also, I assume there would be a different evaluation system for a physical disability, maybe at a medical facility.





Any additions based on your own experiences here? Any similarities or differences in your country?





In Japanese:

https://chopi.jp/archives/711

https://h-navi.jp/column/article/761

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...