Friday, March 22, 2019

Point cards in Japan

I sometimes hear foreign folks in Japan complaining about the point card systems nearly every major shop chain offers.  People fall into two categories: apply for every point card, then have a wallet filled to bursting with point cards OR don't bother because you think they're a waste of time.  A somewhat humorous take on the Japanese point card system here.


Here's my two yen, as it were.  Point cards can be incredibly useful!  Today, I did a quick grocery run (at a store in the AEON chain) and decided to pay with points.  My shopping was FREE thanks to my point card and I still have points left over to use another time!  I've also gotten my printer ink discounted (or free) by using the point card from Joshin (electronics chain).  I get a free snack or drink from time to time using my Lawson (convenience store) point card.






On the other hand, some point cards really aren't worth getting.  I have a point card for the Sugi chain of drugstores.  I didn't check beforehand.  Turns out, you can only redeem points for "stuff".  There are a wide variety of presents to choose from (I got a step-stool and a tablet-like toy for my daughter), but they would probably be cheaper just buying them on your own.


WORDS OF WISDOM (aka, my advice)


  • Apply for point cards ONLY at stores you shop at on a regular basis.  This makes racking up the points easy!
  • Unless you like "stuff" (see above paragraph), only apply for cards that give you discounts in return for points!!
  • Check the expiration dates for points.  It's usually listed on your receipt.  If in doubt, ask a customer service rep at the store.  You want to make sure your points don't expire before you can use them. 
  • Don't forget to hand over your point card before you pay!  If you only remember as you're leaving the store, you're out of luck.
  • Some of the AEON chain grocery stores (AEON, Max Valu, Daiei, who knows what else!) have special sales for point card members.  Usually 5% off.  Keep an eye out for "perks"!


Point cards are GREAT for the frugal shopper in Japan!  Of course, if you think they're a waste of time...well, you're probably going to end up living in a cardboard box under a bridge due to your profligate ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...