Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Kyushoku! #1

Some of you may have heard things about Japan's kyushoku (school lunch).  I've mentioned it a bit in previous posts.  It's definitely healthier than the average lunch in US schools!  But what's in it?  Maybe you've seen something in one of those "isn't Japan wacky?" news reports.  School lunches differ according to area, as they usually try to use locally grown produce as much as possible. 


Here are a few samples:




You KNOW I'm gonna start of with curry and rice!  My favorite lunch of all time!  They usually pair it with a salad or fruit gelatin.  I mix my rice into the curry.  Kyushoku curry is just the right level of non-spiciness, but without falling into the "sweet" category.



Sorry, I should've rotated this one!  Anyway, it's "kokuto" bread (made with a darker sugar, but not Western style "brown sugar"), harusame (clear noodles) soup, and a piece of fried(?) chicken with lemon sauce. 




This is another favorite.  Tuna and potato salad, bread, cheese slice (to make a sandwich) and minestrone soup.  I love that soup!  So much better than any store bought one.




Pot-au-fu (forgive me if I spelled that wrong!), "American dog", and bread.   Wait, what??  American DOG?  That's what corn dogs are called here! 


Well, today's lunch photos are mostly Western style with bread.  I'll be posting more photos in the future, so stay tuned!  As long as I remember to snap a photo before I dig in...  LOL 


What's your favorite lunch from today's blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...