Monday, March 18, 2019

Congratulations, Graduate!

In Japan, the school year starts in April, which makes March graduation season.  April is also when many company workers start their jobs or transfer to new positions/locations. 


Today, I'll share some photos and information from an elementary school graduation.


There is no mistaking when there's a graduation going on at the neighborhood school.  Almost everyone gets their pictures taken near or in front of these commemorative signs.



All the teachers in the school wear suits, but the teachers of the graduating classes sometimes choose to dress Japanese style in a hakama, especially the female teachers (though I have seen a male teacher in a hakama once).



Students also usually wear suits, but this varies from family to family.  I've seen kids in the school uniform of their next school, some boys in more casual slacks and a button-up shirt and/or sweater, and sometimes (usually girls, but boys too) in Japanese hakama.  Most of the girls these days opt for AKB48-style blazers and checked mini-skirts.   
Parents are mostly in dark suits and mothers have a corsage.  A few moms will go all out and wear kimono.  I'm not a kimono expert, but notice the differences between kimono and hakama.


What do you think?  Personally, I don't like to be told what I "should" wear...so for my daughter's daycare graduation and her school entrance ceremony, I wore jeans!  But I dressed her in a kids' version hakama, rather than the stupid mini-skirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...