Tuesday, May 14, 2019

You gonna eat that...?

The other day, I received a "lucky" school lunch!  What made my lunch so lucky? 




Yup, that's a piece of carrot cut into a heart shape.  Daycares and elementary schools often add some specially cut veggies (usually carrots) to soups as one way of getting kids excited about veggies.  In addition to hearts, sometimes there are stars or flower shapes.   


I haven't gotten a lucky lunch in so long, I'd forgotten about them!  But school lunch isn't the only place to find cute veggies.  Special veggie cutters are available in stores so parents can also encourage their kids to eat cute veggies in their boxed lunches too.


But I admit...Japanese kids are alot better with eating vegetables than I was as a kid.  American vegetable dishes are AWFUL.  Just plain boiled veggies in US school lunch!  Japanese school lunches are designed with kids' taste buds in mind, while still being healthy.  I think my favorite added flavoring is sesame dressing or oil.  The various soups, stews, and curries make veggies easy to eat!


More on school lunch to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!

There's finally a Pokemon Cafe in Osaka!!  Of course, I made a reservation as soon as they started taking them in August!  I thought I m...